Saturday, April 25, 2009

The heat is already here?!

Summer is my least favorite season. Mainly because I live in Las Vegas and it gets INCREDIBLY HOT. I am SO not read for 100-120 degree weather. Spring is here and the heat is beginning. It was about 95 degrees here today. I was off work and school so I didn't leave the house. With the heat coming I am preparing myself for a long summer of never turning on the oven or stove top. This means NO BAKING! It will be hard. Yes, it will be hard.

Last summer I was a new vegan and was learning to cook all new things so I used my stove plenty and suffered in the heat of my apartment. My air conditioner never could counter the heat coming from the stove. The roommate hated it. This year I am not going to go through all of the fuss. Right now the nights are pretty cool so I will be doing cooking during the hours when it is cool outside and storing most of what I make in the freezer for easy microwaving later on.

In addition to having frozen meals waiting to just be popped into the microwave I will be adapting more of a raw diet for the summer. Not completely raw but a lot of what I eat will be. Most of my summer consumption will consist of:

-Cold teas (3 tea bags in 2 Qt water and let sit for a few hours makes the best cold tea!)
-Smoothies
-Tons of raw fruits & vegetables
-Tofu salads, bean salads, pasta salads, corn salads, fruit salads
-LOTS of veggie sushi (the roommate's rice cooker doesn't generate a whole lot of heat.)
-Granolas and Mueslis
-Salads and homemade salad dressings
-Raw soups
-Homemade trail mixes
-Loads of Hummus
- & More!!!


My roommate/bestie is the King of Smoothies. He can't cook but he sure can make a mean smoothie. He made me one recently! It was so good:

Photobucket

He made me a pineapple/Mango smoothie. I don't think he realized that I am going to be getting him to make me smoothies all summer long.

Photobucket



2 comments:

Mary said...

Oh wow, that smoothie looks so delicious. Can your roommate share his secrets?

I was whining today because it was 72 and I hate not being able to wear a hoodie, so I feel for you out there in the desert. Don't forget about sorbet! Easiest thing ever, like really thick smoothies. If you don't have an ice cream maker you can use a blender or a food processor. As the weather warms up I'm becoming a sorbet freak.

Stay tough in that heat!

Landry said...

The smoothies are not too hard, I find the tuff part is just getting the blender to cooperate. Ingredients are mostly: Frozen Fruits, Soy Dairy Free Ice Cream, Vanilla Soy Milk, and a cup!

I just get lucky with my proportions. My favorite is a Vegan Peanut Butter Moo'd: Reese's Peanut Butter Cereal, Vanilla Soy Milk, Soy Dairy Free Ice Cream, Bananas... yeah!

Enjoy & Have fun!