Monday, June 8, 2009

Neener's Irresistible Polenta Fries

Photobucket

This was my first attempt making polenta fries. I have heard nothing but good things about them and I absolutely love polenta so I figured I'd wing it and see how they come out.

NOT EVEN KIDDING... THESE WERE LEGENDARY!!!

I doubt I could top the flavor of these. I feel so bad that I didn't get the chance to share with anyone. I'm home alone! These were so amazing that no sauce was needed... at all! I was smart enough to write down the recipe as I went along. It was fairly simple. If any of you have good polenta fry recipes I would love to try many different ways of making this. I have found my new favorite side. (even more than my KALETATOES!


-1 tube of ready made polenta (I got mine @ Fresh and Easy)
-1/2 cup flour
-1/4 cup nutritional yeast
-1/3 tsp dry mustard
-1 tsp sea salt
-1/2 cup + 1-2 tbsp water
-1 crushed/grated/minced clove of garlic
-1 tsp hot pepper sesame oil (optional)
-oil for frying (I used olive oil)


Cut your polenta into thick sticks and set them in the fridge until you are ready for them. Combine the dry ingredient and mix well. Then add the water, garlic and sesame oil (or any spicy oil that you have... or don't add any) and mix well so that there are no lumps.The consistency of the batter should be a little thinner than pancake batter. I used my electric mixer, so if you have one use it.

Heat a small skillet. I used cast iron because it heats evenly. Add your oil to the pan. I only used a small amount of olive oil. Remove your polenta sticks from the fridge and dip them into the batter. Make sure you there isnt too much batter on the outside of your polenta sticks when they go into the oil. I lightly scraped the batter off so that there was a perfect layer on the outside. It may be tricky and messy though. Fry them until they reach the golden brown color that causes you to salivate.

16 comments:

Rose said...

Yummmmmmmmm! They look awesome! Ive never seen ready made polenta, i wonder if it would work if i made thick polenta from scratch, what do you think?

LeAnne said...

I say GO FOR IT! Give it a try, so long as it's thick and wont fall apart in the batter it should work great. Make sure to fridge it until it's really cold before you dip it in the batter.

Delmar said...

OMG thanks so much for this recipe. Fries are my weakness, but adding polenta to the mix? Lawd have mercy.
Be careful with that olive oil though! If it reaches a smoking point, it's can be toxic. I love high heat cooking, so a peanut, vegetable, or canola oil is great for that.
I'm gonna try it and consider you my vegan fairy god-mother!

LeAnne said...

Thank you, you're so sweet. And thanx for the tip on olive oil... I'm going to have to look into that!

Oraphan said...

Wow, your polenta fries look so yummy, mmmmmm!!!! I have never tried them before. Is the inside very soft after you fry them?
It sounds easy to make and I have a tube of polenta in my fridge (I got mine at Fresh and Easy too). I'll definitely give it a try soon, thanks for the recipe. =D

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

they look awesome. i've never seen ready made polenta though! But it sounds easy enough to do if I make some myself the night before maybe??

Unknown said...

So - do you mix all of the ingredients EXCEPT the polenta together, and then dip the polenta sticks into the pancake like mixture?

Thanks! Just trying to clarify, since it's not really clear in the recipe, and I really want to make these, cuz yours look perfect!!

Langalot said...

Wow.

LeAnne said...

Yes, Zel(da), that is exactly what you do. I'll edit the post in case there are any others confused by the directions.

Mihl said...

Wow, they look perfect! I've never had polenta fries and now I definitely want some.

Rose said...

I've always wanted to make polenta fries ever since seeing them in a cookbook of mine. They look amazing!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I've never had polenta fries, but I'm gonna try these super soon

Anonymous said...

I just made these because I saw them on your blog. Great recipe! They turned out just as good as you make them look in the picture!

LeAnne said...

Aww, man! You're anonymous! I wish I knew who you were! Thank you for getting back to me. It's much appreciated!

Unknown said...

I am yet to try polenta. These look like a great way to try it for the first time. :)

vegan.in.brighton said...

Oh yum, I don't know how I missed this blog post but I found it thanks to your PPK post. These look amazing and they're on my list of things to try.