Monday, September 15, 2008

A Simple dinner for myself

BBQ Tofu Steak, Green beans and Kaletatoes
I was going to post this last night after dinner but I posted a lot yesterday so I figured I'd wait a day. This is just a post to show you my quick bbq tofu and favorite new thing to eat... KALETATOES!!! Kaletatoes is my new word for kale mixed with mashed potatoes. It is really amazing. I think I am addicted to kale now. I've had 3 recipes on this blog involving kale. I can't help it, it's just the greatest! AND!!! It's good for you!

The money shot!

Kaletatoes:

-1 bunch of Kale chopped as fine as you can get it
-2 lbs of potatoes peeled, cut into cubes and cooked the way you like them, then mashed
-2 or 3 cloves minced garlic (how ever much garlic you want actually)
-1/4 cup vegetable broth
-1tbsp olive oil
-your favorite seasoning to make it taste the way YOU want it to
-some vegan margarine

Use a deep pot to cook your kale. It seems like it'd be a lot BUT it shrinks in the pot just like spinach or greens. Add the olive oil and garlic to the pot and cook the garlic stirring constantly on medium/low heat until they start to lightly brown. Then toss in your chopped kale and mix it all together with the vegetable broth. Let the kale cook, stirring occasionally. When the kale is soft and ready you can add it to the mashed potatoes and mix well. Add any seasonings you may want to personalize your kaletatoes. Also, you may want 1 tbsp of vegan margarine and a little bit more vegetable broth to get it mixing smoothly.

There you have it! your very own Kaletatoes!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Since we're confessing our LOVE of kale, have you tried making kale "chips"?? I eat them everyday! I tear the kale up in a pieces and put on a cookie sheet, sprinkle a little olive oil and a very little bit of sea salt. Then put in the oven on 350 for 8-10 minutes, then stir them around a bit and back in the oven for about 5 more minutes. They get krispy and are addictive. Try it if you haven't before. :-P

Anonymous said...

Kale and potatoes = yum!
You have a really nice blog here, I discovered you though the VFF.

allularpunk said...

try it with sweet potatoes...that's what i did last week. but kale and any potatoes is pretty genius. glad we're on the same wavelength here.

kmouse said...

Kaletatoes! I have to make those one day. A good way to sneak greens onto a dinner plate. :)

LeAnne said...

It's such a great taste. You all would love it.

Fiber said...

Seriously, the Kaletatoes look absolutely amazing!
And I second the kale chips recipe. I absolutely love them!

Bethany said...

yummy! I want some kaletatoes w/ a side of kale chips.