Sunday, May 24, 2009

A few things I've eaten recently.

Ladies and Gents, I have an announcement! Las Vegas has a VEGAN DONUT SHOP!!! Of all the things to have a donut shop? I don't want to sound like a complainer but it just seems odd to me. However, I hadn't had a donut in YEARS, so I decided to give it a try. Magda came over and we headed to Ronald's Donuts. It's really cool. There are 3 rows of donuts in the case and the top 2 rows are 100% vegan. I played Eenie Meenie and picked a dozen because I have plenty of people to share with. I'm not going to lie, I ate like 4 of them.

Photobucket

Here we have homemade trail mix. I had a bunch of different bags of snacks in the cupboard so I tossed them together. Old fashion rolled oats, raisins, peanuts, shaved coconut, chopped pistachios (very small amount. I only see a piece of one in this picture) and ground flax seed. One day last week I ended up pouring some soy milk over it because I was out of cereal. Worked out very well.

Photobucket

Strawberry sorbet. It has been gettin much hotter out lately and I usually try to have as many cold, healthy treats as possible.
Photobucket

Another falafel trip. Paymon's is where it's at! Here we have the hummus:
Photobucket

The warm, fluffy, delicious pita bread that comes with it:
Photobucket

And, YES, another falafel. Yes it is an addiction. No, i will not give it up!
Photobucket


I had made a gigantic pot of red beans about a month ago and froze a good portion of it. i forgot it was in the freezer! So, since I have been a little on the broke side lately I pulled it out and defrosted it. 'll be able to have this for dinner for a few days. No complaints either because they are SO GOOD! It is always best to use dry beans and cook them yourself. They always come out better.
Photobucket

And because I am my mother's child... I sometimes add ketchup to my red beans. Sounds strange? Try it. She has done this for as long as I can remember.
Photobucket

A salad for lunch. From the bottom up: Shredded (longwise) zucchini, Super Firm tofu, Organic Flax Tempeh, sesame seeds. The dressing I used was a mixture of Rice Vinegar, Agave Nectar, salt and coriander.
Photobucket


9 comments:

Artichoke Zine said...

I am so jealous of your donut shop!!

Sky said...

If only we could trade one of our vegan restaurants here in SF for your donut shop. Then the world might make sense again. :)

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Mmm...strawberry sorbet. And falafel is an addiction I fully support!

Jamie Walker said...

I love ketchup on beans, I completely understand. My fave ketchup is Wholemato Agave Spicy Ketchup..have you ever tried it? If not, you should, its completely delicous...I have even dipped carrots in it, I'm not going to lie.

Mary said...

I have so many things to say about this awesome post. Where to begin?

1. I am really glad that Bangor, Maine does NOT have a vegan donut shop. Those look really tasty and I don't think I could restrain myself.

2. I love that you are rocking the homemade trail breakfast cereal. It's so easily customized, crunchier, and way cheaper!

3. sorbet: YES. It's beautiful.

4. Goddamn, that falafel looks amazing. The hummus is so smooth and oily...mmm...

5. Your new profile photo is adorable.

Devan said...

http://sunbeamsandprettythings.blogspot.com/

enjoy!!!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I love Ronald's Donuts SO VERY MUCH. It's probably a good thing I don't live in Las Vegas!

Oraphan said...

All the food looks really good, yum!!! I love your new profile photo, you look so cute!!!=D

LeAnne said...

Thanks for all the wonderful comments!!! I wish I could send Ronald's donuts to all of you' but they will be crummy by the time they got to you. Let me know if any of you are going to visit soon!